Nelson Mandela: An Indispensable Life in Pictures
Nelson Mandela, the revolutionary-turned-prisoner-turned-president who led South Africa out of apartheid and into an era of political and racial reconciliation, passed away on Dec. 5, 2013. He was 95.
Read more here.
(Photo: David Brauchli / AP)
Publicist: ‘Fast and Furious’ actor Paul Walker dies at 40
AP: Actor Paul Walker, famous for his role in “The Fast and Furious” movie franchise, died in a car accident Saturday, his publicist confirmed.
Walker, 40, was at a charity event in Santa Clarita, Calif., at the time of his death. According to the actor’s publicist, he was a passenger in a friend’s car that crashed. Both died in the accident.
Photo: Andre Penner / AP file
Can you donate just cents or dollars for the victims of Typhoon ‘Haiyan’ or we called ‘Yolanda’ here in our country. Please guys, this is really serious. The words in the graphic is inspired. We need cooperation here guys.
HOW THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY CAN HELP
- donations via the Philippine Red Cross (including PayPal)
- donations via Habitat for Humanity
- donations via ANCOP Foundation USA
FOR THOSE IN THE PHILIPPINES
- text donations via Globe
- Red Cross and DSWD relief operations (infographic)
- list of ongoing relief operations via Rappler
- donations via ABS-CBN News
HOW TO FILE FOR MISSING PERSONS
VIDEO GAMERS OUT THERE IN TUMBLR! HELP US PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
PLEASE FOLKS, SUPPORT AND BOOST
Grassroots Filipin@ organizations here in the U.S. that work directly with the communities most affected by the typhoon are raising funds to send to the Philippines. Please consider donating here instead: http://tinyurl.com/bayanihanreliefeffort.
NAFCON is a highly trustworthy org. I know the people that work there and they are great folks that do on-the-ground work WITH communities in the Philippines and with Fil-Ams in the US. I don’t know much about the orgs listed above, but I def. suggest NAFCON as a grassroots alternative. 100% will make it to the communities in need.
(Before anything else - I would like to thank some followers from here who were worried about me and checked about my situation. My place wasn’t part of the affected areas… and really, I wish I could say the same to others - and this is where I humbly ask for your help.)
Since I have the most number of followers in this blog, I’m reblogging this post to spread awareness and seek your help. Once again, my country has been recently hit by one of the strongest typhoons in the world with wind strength equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane. It killed people (10,000 are already feared dead and that number will probably keep on rising), took people’s homes and destroyed buildings including historical landmarks. It’s so heartbreaking to watch my fellow countrymen suffering right now with no food, shelter and water; crying for their loss and walking around ruins to look for their loved ones. And to think this has all happened when that part of the country just barely recovered from a 7.2 magnitude earthquake. Here’s some horrific pictures of the damages:
So please, pray for us and donate as much as you can. Any donation from you could save many lives in the Philippines.
This might not also be related to your blog style but no matter what, I beg you guys to REBLOG in order to spread awareness.
Thank you so much for your kindness and support!!!
Putting Things In Perspective: The photo on the left is Hurricane Katrina moments before it made landfall in Louisiana back in 2005. The photo on the right is Super Typhoon Haiyan, currently making landfall in the Philippines. Basically, what is happening in the Philippines is historic for the world. Super Typhoon Haiyan is one of the strongest storms in world history. You read that correctly, WORLD HISTORY. It is also the strongest storm in the world since 1979. Loss of life is unavoidable in the case of this Super Typhoon. It formed when two separate typhoons joined together. To put things in perspective, a storm bigger than Hurricane Katrina is hitting the Philippines. Unprecedented, indeed.
Absolutely tragic too. :(
Keep the Philippines in your thoughts, please.
What makes it even worse is that it’s going to be mainly in the Visayas region which just experienced a massive earthquake, and there are still some areas that hadn’t received help because they’re hard to reach. The road to recovery has only barely started and now Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda in the Philippines) appears.
If anyone out there wants to help, the Philippine Red Cross is currently open to donations. Even from people outside of the Philippines through this website. (You can pick “Supertyphoon Yolanda” under the campaign field, and since the denomination is in peso, 1 USD = 43 PHP fyi.)
Reblogging for the donations links.
Oh my god. This is horrible.
Useful numbers to remember. Keep safe everyone! #YolandaPH
It happens to be one of the strongest storms ever recorded on the planet.
• Super Typhoon Haiyan had winds of 195 mph and gusts of 235 mph. This is one of the highest wind speeds ever recorded in a storm in world history. • It made landfall as the most powerful typhoon or hurricane in recorded history, as based on wind speed measurements from satellites. • The strength of Haiyan is equal to that of an extremely powerful Category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic. (Typhoons are the same type of storms as hurricanes). • No hurricane in the Atlantic has ever been this strong; Hurricane Camille hit the U.S. Gulf Coast with an estimated wind speed of 190 mph. • The storm is over 300 miles wide: The width is about equal to the distance between Boston and Philadelphia. • The Philippines typically gets hit by more typhoons than any country on Earth, usually about six or seven each year. • About 10 million people live on the central Philippine islands and are most at risk of a direct strike from Haiyan. • The storm is known as Super Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines.
Fangirl Challenge ► 10 tv shows
'The computer didn't make you a hero, it just gave you an opportunity to become one.'
Imagine your icon being your sole companion in the zombie apocalypse. They have all the powers they have in the movie/game/show they’re from.